Wednesday, November 3, 2010

An Expression or Appearance of Merriment or Amusement

"The human race has only one really effective weapon, and that is laughter." ~ Mark Twain


I am ashamed to admit that, for the second time this year, I satisfied my daily photo requirement of a photo a day with a picture of the television. So pathetic. On Monday, I couldn't muster the mental or physical energy to get off the couch, much less set up a creative shot. My camera was within arm's reach, so I grabbed it and snapped a picture of one of the few bright spots in recent Saturday Night Live history.


{Amy Poehler as Hillary Clinton and Tina Fey as Sarah Palin}

 Today, I am giving thanks for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Together or separately, these broads always make me laugh. If you have five minutes, it's worth watching this clip again just to hear this exchange: 
 
                               "Hillary": I believe global warming is caused by man.
                                 "Sarah": And I think it's just God huggin' us!


I'm really just thankful for laughter in general. That's such a lame, cliche thing to be thankful for; it's like when the Miss America candidate says that she supports world peace. But still, nothing beats a good laugh, be it a barely suppressed giggle, an awkward chortle snort, or a tear-inducing-barely-breathing belly laugh.


"Mirth is God's medicine. Everyone should bathe in it." ~ Henry Ward Beecher

And, finally, another Saturday Night Live gem on the subject of laughter courtesy of Jack Handey and his Deep Thoughts,  "Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." If you are in need of another giggle, grin, or guffaw, I highly recommend perusing some of Mr. Handey's other very deep thoughts.


Now, because I love you eight people who read my blog and I want you to laugh even if it is at my expense, I will show you the sad, sad documentation of the first time I took a picture of my television. This one is particularly embarrassing as it is a testament not only to my unwillingness to get my ass off the couch, but also to my horrible taste in reality television.

{January 15, 2010 - a low point}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose