Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Flash of Fall

For a lovely few days last week, San Diego welcomed October with appropriately fallish weather. It rained and gusted. It even thundered and lighteninged. Most importantly, it gave absolute legitimacy to the sweaters and leggings that I feel I have a right to wear as soon as October rolls around.


Now, I would never complain about Southern California's near perfect weather. I've lived with the alternative, and I have come to terms with the fact that I just don't have the mental or emotional fortitude to withstand weeks and months of steel gray skies and temperatures that don't rise above freezing. That said, I do miss fall in New England. The sudden crispness in the air signals the long, slow build-up to the most wonderful time of the year. (Fear not, I will not begin Christmas talk until after Thanksgiving, as is the rule.)

Anyway, the point is that, here in San Diego, I cling to any hit of a season change, so I find a few days of rainy weather to be a reward in and of itself. Nature, however, saw fit to throw in a rainbow as an extra little gift.

 
This weekend, temperatures were back in the upper seventies and the skies were cloudless and beautiful. Tom and I headed to the beach on Saturday and Sunday to soak up the fall sun.  I still get the occasional twinge of nostalgia for falling leaves and frost on the pumpkin, but I'm a California girl through and through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose