Friday, April 2, 2010

Fingers Crossed

Since jet-setting is a bit out of reach at the moment, today I decided to focus on a list item that felt a bit more attainable. Plus, planting a little garden seemed like the perfect way to put off grading for one more day. Soooo, I challenged Google with searches like "container gardening," "growing vegetables and herbs in pots," "edible gardening in small places." As always, Google came through and I discovered a lovely new blog (Life on the Balcony) about how to have a garden in an apartment or condo. Armed with my new knowledge, I headed off to the Mission Hills Nursery.


The first trip to the nursery left me slightly overwhelmed at the bounty and the cost of all the necessary supplies (and I wasn't even factoring in one of those cute little garden totes and the little mat you kneel on whilst working in the garden).


I wanted that lovely, giant blue planter because I had visions of this overflowing pot of herbs.

                       
photo by Thomas J. Story via Sunset magazine

The lovely blue planter was $89, and my affinity for having my head attached to my neck renders Tijuana a less-than-ideal vacation destination, so I decided to save my pennies and head to Target and Ace Hardware for cheap plastic planters. In addition to the planters, my three stops resulted in a trunk loaded with rosemary, lavender, cilantro, mint, dill, basil, a tomato plant, a pepper plant, plus some organic potting soil (complete with earth worm) and organic fertilizer.


As soon as I started filling my planters, I realized that I had severely underestimated just how much potting soil I would need, so I will be heading back to the nursery tomorrow. I did, however, get the tomato and rosemary plants settled in their new homes. Hopefully the whole project will be completed by tomorrow afternoon.


If all goes well, we will be enjoying delicious, organically home-grown herbs and veggies by June or July.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose