Monday, January 17, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dr. King

I have spent the past 45 minutes reading the words of Martin Luther King, unable to choose a favorite passage. As someone who treasures a well-crafted sentence and an elegant turn of phrase, I have long appreciated King's oratorical skills. Today, as I read some of his most famous words, I marveled as always at his mastery of language, but what really struck me is how relevant his words remain today.

We have certainly come a long way in fifty years (I wonder if King himself could have imagined that an African American family would reside in the White House during his children's lifetimes), and yet we still have so very far to go before we live up to the dream that Dr. King laid out for us.

There were too many wonderful words of wisdom to pick just one, so I'll probably be back later with more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose