Wednesday, June 22, 2011

San Francisco - Part II (Bike Across the Golden Gate - Check!)

Ok, back to our San Francisco adventures... In order to counteract all the eating, Tom and I decided that some exercise was in order on Sunday. Biking across the Golden Gate Bridge was on my life to-do list, so we had planned ahead and brought our bicycles.

We set out from Kelsey's and Chris', heading in what we assumed was the direction of the bridge. We go slightly off track and ended up at the Palace of Fine Arts. It was a happy accident though since neither of us had ever visited there before.



 After our detour, we followed some fellow bikers and found our way to Crissy Field.


We took our time making our way to the entrance to the bridge, partly to enjoy the view and partly because my quads were not pleased to make the acquaintance of San Francisco's famous hills.

At one point, we found a willing tourist to take a picture of us. He really knocked himself out, moving around, shooting us at different angles, even crouching on the ground at one point. By about that fifth shot, it had gotten awkward.

{Alright, buddy. Put the camera down and back away slowly.}
Eventually, we did make it to the actual biking across the bridge bit.



 Once over the bridge, we headed down the hill into Sausalito...at what felt like forty miles an hour.


Obviously, it was time to eat again, so we waited for a seat on the deck at Scoma's where we had champagne, crab legs, and a caprese salad - vacation dining at its finest.


After lunch, we walked around Sausalito for a bit and decided to sample the highly recommended (by the internet again) cones at Lappert's Ice Cream. I won again, my blueberry cheesecake ice cream besting whatever forgettable flavor Tom had the misfortune of selecting. I kid. I'm sure it was delicious, particularly with the addition of the rainbow sprinkles that my thirty year old husband always insists on.


Heavy with ice cream and champagne, we caught the ferry back to the city.


It was the perfect ending to a wonderful weekend.


2 comments:

  1. Sausalito is one of my most favorite places--I have been going there since I was in college and we would drive up for the USC-Cal or USC-Stanford games. Mom and I went there on our honeymoon and in every single visit since. Midge is not a big fan at this point--her experience biased by the long bike ride and only being about 13 years old. Pix are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, let's get blogging your fans are getting a little restless waiting or more...

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose