Monday, June 20, 2011

Felicities

Things that make me happy -

*my dad
I really lucked out in the parent department, hit the jackpot really. Just as with my mom, I struggle to find the words to describe my dad and what he means to me. For one thing, he's wicked smaht. My dad always made intelligence seem cool. Thanks to my dad, I have a Rolodex of random facts in my brain (Although some of the "facts" he passed down turned out to be invented for the sole purpose of grossing out my sister and me -turns out the crunchy things in Fig Newtons aren't actually bug parts). Despite his love of sports, my dad didn't seem to mind that I was less than gifted in the athletic department, and he nurtured my love of reading and despite his mistrust of the creatures, my love of horses. I still have the copy of A Horse of Your Own that my dad gave me on April 13, 1993. I know the exact date because it is inscribed, "Katie, Don't be sad-/braces aren't so bad/because it will be great/when your teeth are straight. Love, Daddy." So, yeah, he's also an awesome poet.


The picture above is from over the weekend and is a pretty good one for summing up some of the great things about my dad. 1.) My dad and I had been walking along the beach and talking for over an hour when I took this picture and we would continue to walk and talk for at least another hour - I have always known that no matter what pressing issues were on his schedule, my dad would always have time for a father-daughter chat. 2.) We were on an eight mile "ride and stride" being held to raise money for wounded veterans. This encompasses two of my dad's passions - helping others and exercise. 3.) He is standing in front of the sign he sponsored in honor of a charity in Haiti, a country to which he has wholeheartedly dedicated himself.  The importance of service is something that both of my parents placed at the forefront of our family's consciousness. 4.) In his right hand is some of the garbage he collected as we walked along the beach - he does the right thing when no one is watching. 5.) He is wearing a goofy-ass expression because that's how he rolls.

My dad was my first example of what a man should be like, and he set the bar pretty high. Thanks to my dad, I always had high standards for the men I let into my life. For as long as I can remember, my dad has been telling my sisters and me that if we find someone who loves us half as much as he loves our mother, then he'll be happy for us. I always remembered that and always knew that I wouldn't settle for less.
Happy Father's Day, Dad!
*summer flavors
 There is nothing like fresh heirloom tomatoes and basil to herald the beginning of summer. Caprese season has begun!


*random birds in the airport
You would be surprised how much a little chickadee can make seasoned air travelers freak out...although, his beady little eyes are somewhat chilling.

*the thought of some day getting Tom his own dog 

Unfortunately, Tom's mom has bad pet allergies, so he never had a dog growing up. Hopefully, we'll be able to get our own dog sometime soon; in the meantime, it's fun to watch him with Lucy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose