Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Felicities

Making me happy this week:

*weekend dates


*citrus
I can't get enough. Yet another reason why I can't imagine living anywhere but the Golden State.

{tangelo - after school snack}

{tangerine - dessert}
*poetry
Nerd alert. The last issue of O magazine (double nerd alert) was all about poetry and the power it has to articulate our common bonds. People write it off as stuffy, dull, and pretentious, and some of it surely is, but some of it is also incredibly simple and universal. Point is, I'm trying to read some new-to-me poetry every night. I'm going to be through my poetry collection soon, so it looks like a trip to the used book store might be in order. Any recommendations?

Here's a poem in honor of the aforementioned citrus. (Click to view larger.)

*The Princess Bride

I love this movie. This week I showed it to my students, 80-plus Mexican-American kids who were born almost ten years after it first came out. I was a little nervous about showing this sentimental favorite to my decidedly unsentimental students, a group who routinely turn up their noses at the idea of watching any movie that is not rated R. I was also worried that a movie made in 1987 might come off as cheesy and dated. All my worries were unfounded, however. The kids seemed to genuinely like the movie, and many of them asked to watch it again the next day. Although, that probably has more to do with avoiding actual work than anything...

Either way, Westley, Buttercup, Inigo, and Fezzik made me very happy this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose