Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Craftiness Complete

Ever since we moved in, I have been wanting something to fill the huge, empty space over the sink in my kitchen. In a perfect world, this space would be filled by a large picture window, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to get that close to our neighbors...  Soooo, I decided some sort of artwork would have to suffice.

In any event, ever since we saw Food Inc., I have been a fan of Michael Pollan and his straightforward, no nonsense approach to guiding people towards a more healthful and sustainable diet. While he has written multiple books about the history and politics of "modern agribusiness," he has condensed his basic philosophy into three essential principles: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." I thought that a visual reminder of this sentiment would be the perfect addition to the kitchen, so I scoured Etsy and other crafty outlets in search of a poster or painting bearing Pollan's message. I couldn't find anything, so I decided to make something myself. I had envisioned a cool, typographic poster, but my lack of Photoshop skill necessitated a different approach, so I headed back to the art store in town.

{I wanted to find a way to incorporate glitter, but I demonstrated restraint.}



This project began as most of my projects do, half-cocked, vaguely imagined, and full of lofty ambition. Unlike many of my projects, I actually saw this one to completion. It took longer than it had any right to (thanks to my husband for not saying word one about the fact that I turned our dining room into my personal art studio), because I kept painting and painting over until I had something that I thought I could stand to look at every day.





It's not exactly what I wanted, but - hey - I finished and I managed to hang them relatively straight.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose