Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mi bicicleta es morado. True story.


It has become quite clear to me in recent months that I have a serious problem with follow through. I love brainstorming, organizing, planning, but following through on the execution...eh, not so much. 

I have a chest of drawers full of the supplies necessary for myriad abandoned craft projects from jewelry making to decoupage. At this moment, pushed to the back of my cabinet are things like quinoa and tahini, purchased with the best of intentions for recipes that never came to fruition. My Post-it note bookmark has been stuck to page 34 of Huckleberry Finn for at least a month now. Part of the reason I started this blog was to try to hold myself accountable for following through on my list, and now I've started to slack off even on that... Acknowledgment is the first step, right? I'm working on it.

On a more positive note, I am started working on my Spanish with Rosetta Stone six weeks ago, and I am really enjoying it! The whole concept behind Rosetta Stone is that the best way to learn a language is through immersion rather than the memorization of isolated vocabulary words. You slowly build vocabulary through through reading, writing, listening, and speaking Spanish words and sentences that are paired with pictures that provide the meaning. There is no English at all. I have already learned many useful phrases like, "La gato es en el sombrero" and "El niňo come una manzana amarillo." That's "The cat is in the hat" and "The boy is eating a yellow apple" for those of you who no habla espanol.
  
In any event, I don't think six weeks qualifies as evidence of follow through, but I'm hopeful. Plus, it gives me another, much needed way to bond with my students... They love hearing the latest simple sentence that I have mastered and it's a great chance for them to teach me something. Leo el periódico todos los días, bitches.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose