Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Happy Golden Days of Yore

 

There isn't much that I don't enjoy about Christmas...the shopping, the baking, the decorating, the singing, the nostalgia. I embrace it all.  This year, my second Christmas as a married lady, I have particularly enjoyed gazing at the tree. I like seeing our histories mixed together there on our Noble Fir. The ornaments represent thirty (gasp!) Christmases past, from the Baby's First Christmas 1980 wooden tree to the mini heart frame that holds a picture from our wedding last year. There is a 3rd grade Christmas craft project and a huge glass orb encasing a snow-covered Hotel Del that Tom gave me when he booked us a night there for my 26th birthday. A red wooden rocking horse with yellow paint that reads, "Thomas 1984" hangs beneath the palm tree ornament that we bought in Belize on our honeymoon. The Hallmark ornaments that Tom's grandparents gave him every year dangle from branches beside the white Horizon Porcelain ornaments that my mom gave my siblings and me every year.


 
This year I gave Tom a wooden sailboat ornament for his birthday in an attempt to satisfy one of the more extravagant things on his birthday wish list. I can't wait to see how our ornament collection grows over the next thirty Christmases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose