Friday, January 1, 2010

Welcome, 2010!

letter B A letter L letter A City Carpet Letter N Ceramic C in shades of teal and aqua E
Created using Spell with flickr

bal-ance (n) [bal-uhns]:
1.) a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc.
2.) mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc
3.) a state in which opposite forces or influences exist in equal or the correct amounts, in a way that is good
4.) the pleasing harmony of various elements in a design, painting, musical composition, etc.; harmonious proportion 

Having never been a huge fan of new year's resolutions, I was immediately intrigued by the possibility of forgoing them altogether, guilt-free. They may work for some, but for the most part, resolutions have become empty cliches, the same promises made and broken year after year. When I read (here and here) about the idea of replacing a litany of resolutions with a single word, it made sense to me and the word balance immediately came to mind. 


On her blog, Christine Kane explains that resolutions don't work because we are resolving to do something (i.e.: lose weight), but what we really want to is be something (i.e.: confident). She suggests that if we shift our focus and concentrate on who or what we wish to be, the things we need to do will naturally follow. The idea then is to choose one word that will be a kind of touchstone, a constant reminder of what you want for yourself for the coming year.

                                Sunset yoga by GrahamKing

So, this year, instead of making my usual yearly recommitment to eating well, exercising regularly, sleeping enough, and demonstrating fiscal responsibility, I am focusing instead on the idea of balance. I will try to think about bringing balance to my life as I go about my daily business and hopefully this will guide me to make the healthiest possible decisions and maybe even improve my tree pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose